Re: ide-scsi support

Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> I'm trying (again) to make my IDE CD-RW work. I compiled my
> kernel 2.3.5 (I haven't had time to download 2.2.10 yet) with
> SCSI emulation as a module and the following SCSI options:
>
> <M> SCSI support
> <M> SCSI disk support
> < > SCSI tape support
> <M> SCSI CD-ROM support
> [*]   Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)
> <M> SCSI generic support
> [*] Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
> [*] Verbose SCSI error reporting (kernel size +=12K)
>
> My fstab has lines for /dev/hdc (ATAPI CDROM) and /dev/hdd
> (HP 8100i CD-RW), and on reboot with this new kernel both devices
> were mounted.
>
> So I unmounted them, typed `modprobe ide-scsi' and tried to mount
> /dev/scd0 (hopefully my CD-RW) on /mnt/cdrom. The error:
>
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)

Have you done this this way successfully before?
On 2.0.x kernels, the SCSI emulation help specifically says to
disable ATAPI CDROM support beacuse it will be used over SCSI
emulation.  Thus it's my understanding that a device _already_
detected as ATAPI CDROM will never be detected as SCSI emulated.

Try disabling ATAPI CDROM support and compiling SCSI emulation,
SCSI support and SCSI CD-ROM support directly into the kernel
without using modules (or at the very least, don't compile in
ATAPI CDROM support at all).

Peter