Re: ide-scsi support

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:54:52AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
>
> > I'm trying (again) to make my IDE CD-RW work.
>
> Have you done this this way successfully before?

Something along these lines, yes.

> On 2.0.x kernels, the SCSI emulation help specifically says to
> disable ATAPI CDROM support beacuse it will be used over SCSI
> emulation.  Thus it's my understanding that a device _already_
> detected as ATAPI CDROM will never be detected as SCSI emulated.

Oh. I sort of see. Is it possible to make /dev/hdd SCSI only? I'll
only really need it to write CDs (and hopefully read the CD-Rs that
my Creative ATAPI spits out).

> Try disabling ATAPI CDROM support and compiling SCSI emulation,
> SCSI support and SCSI CD-ROM support directly into the kernel
> without using modules

I will do.

[*rustle*]

Right. Compiling without ATAPI CDROM support and the SCSI stuff
directly into the kernel sort of works. Except it doesn't, really:

[root%letdown /home/alisdair] # mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrw
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

The same happens for /dev/scd1. And now I can't access them via
/dev/hdc and /dev/hdd.

> (or at the very least, don't compile in ATAPI CDROM support at all).

I really need ATAPI CDROM support though. One of the main uses of
my PC is as a CD rip/encoder, and emulated SCSI doesn't appear to
support cooked ioctl, so cdparanoia doesn't work.
--
alisdair mcdiarmid
[it looks like we might have made it we might have made it to the end]