Re: ide-scsi support

Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> > On 2.0.x kernels, the SCSI emulation help specifically says to
> > disable ATAPI CDROM support beacuse it will be used over SCSI
> > emulation.  Thus it's my understanding that a device _already_
> > detected as ATAPI CDROM will never be detected as SCSI emulated.
>
> Oh. I sort of see. Is it possible to make /dev/hdd SCSI only? I'll
> only really need it to write CDs (and hopefully read the CD-Rs that
> my Creative ATAPI spits out).
>
> > Try disabling ATAPI CDROM support and compiling SCSI emulation,
> > SCSI support and SCSI CD-ROM support directly into the kernel
> > without using modules
>
> I will do.
>
> [*rustle*]
>
> Right. Compiling without ATAPI CDROM support and the SCSI stuff
> directly into the kernel sort of works. Except it doesn't, really:
>
> [root%letdown /home/alisdair] # mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrw
> mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Is it detected as /dev/scd0?
On my system, it's /dev/sr0

Look at bootup messages (dmesg command or /var/log/messages):

Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
(scsi0:0:4:0) Synchronous at 8.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.09
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: PD-1 LF-1195C     Rev: A110
  Type:   Optical Device                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> > (or at the very least, don't compile in ATAPI CDROM support at all).
>
> I really need ATAPI CDROM support though. One of the main uses of
> my PC is as a CD rip/encoder, and emulated SCSI doesn't appear to
> support cooked ioctl, so cdparanoia doesn't work.

That's another problem altogether.  I don't know...

Peter