Re: Boot-floppy for Linux+NT

Hey, man. I have NT + 95 + Linux booting from the NT partition.
There's a How-To  that can help you. Since I don't remember where I got it, I am
copying and pasting it:

NT-Bootloading-Linux-HOWTO

You have Windows NT installed on one partition using NTFS, one partition with DOS as
C:\, and Linux on a third. You wish
to use NT's bootloader to load all three OSes.

Here is what worked for me.

   1.boot Linux using your boot disk.
   2.login as root.
   3.mount a MS-DOS formatted floppy (e.g. mount /dev/fd0 /mnt -t msdos)
   4.do a (assuming that linux is installed on /dev/hda3):
     dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/mnt/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
   5.edit /etc/lilo.conf with the following:
   6.boot=/mnt/bootsect.lnx
   7.delay=0
   8.run LILO
   9.unmount /mnt
  10.shutdown Linux, boot NT
  11.copy a:\bootsect.lnx c:\
  12.c:\attrib -h -s -r boot.ini
  13.using notepad or edit, add the following under the [Operating Systems] section:
          c:\bootsect.lnx="The Linux Operating System"
  14.c:\attrib +h +s +r boot.ini
  15.reboot NT to see your new menu item

I think that if you have NTFS as your file system on C:\ that the same thing will
work!

Also, I have modified the procedure so that I mount the MS-DOS partition as /dosc and
have lilo.conf changed to
'boot=/dosc/bootsect.lnx' and don't have to use a floppy at all (although it is nice
to have a boot on a floppy, the convience of
directly reconfiguring after rebuilding the kernel is worth it!).

Thanks for this technique should be given to John Reece (jreece@sousa.intel.com) and
malina@ludens.elte.hu.

I'm a newbie to Linux and to this list. Don't know if this was the How-To you were
using.