Re: Boot-floppy for Linux+NT

	Subject: Boot-floppy for Linux+NT
	Date: Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 10:27:19AM -0400

Quoting Sebastian Canagaratna(scanagar@canax.onu.edu):
> I am having the following problem:
>
>  I have Linux Debian 2.1 + Windows NT 4.0
>  I have followed the instructions in the minihowto and got the
>  NT to give the menu to choose either NT or Linux. However
>  I cannot mark the Linux partition bootable: this gives an error
>  on boot up. I have another machine with OS2 boot manager, and I
>  mark the Linux partition as well as the MBR bootable.
>
>    This is no problem by itself, but unfortunately, when I copied
>    zImage to a floopy, this seems to require that the Linux partition
>    be marked bootable. If this is not done, on boot up the machine
>    says it did not find a boot sector on floppy and proceeds to
>    give the menu choices.
>
>   I tried, changing the lilo.conf to boot=/dev/fd0, and then running
>   lilo. After this I changed the lilo conf to /boot=/dev/sda2. THis
>   made no difference.
>
>   Is is pottisble to have a bootable floppy  with NT and Linux?

Don't know about NT.  But I do use a floppy to boot to 3 different
distributions on /dev/hdb and not of the partitions are marked
bootable.  Here is the script I use to make the boot floppy.

echo "Making Boot floppy for DEBIAN 2.2.3  /dev/hdb10 OK?"
read ans
echo "R-deving /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage"
echo
rdev -R /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage 1
rdev /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /dev/hdb10
rdev -v /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage 0x317
echo " Making boot floppy"
echo
dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage  of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

Note that this is for the 2.2.9 kernel (the 0x317) but I have done the
same for 2.0.x kernels as well.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
"... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of