Newbie - Creative ATAPI CDROM 8x

HI. I'm a newbie with Linux.

I have installed Debian in my system.
It worked fine till I ran dselect and instaled all packages (this have not to do with
my trouble).
When I finished installation of the packages ( I was installing from the 'Official CD
1 - Binaries', and
I made a choice of something like math/scientific packages) . After that, when I
wanted to
add/remove packages running dselect, my cd-rom driver was not there anymore. Just to
be more
specific: when the system starts, it's recognized. As  I try to mount it (mount
/dev/hdc /h -t msdos or mount /dev/hdc /h -t iso9660), the system says that the "tray
is open...".
It's working fine under windows 95 and NT. Yes, I have a 'threeal boot' machine (does
that word
exists?)

I know my CD-Rom is old! I have no money to buy a new one.
I heard that there are some trouble with Creative CDROMs. Is there a plausible
workaround? Does anyone knows a package for using with my specific CD-ROM driver?
My CD-ROM cable is not connected at my soundblaster. It's attached to my onboard IDE.

Thanks in advance.

Romeu Flores Jznior
Nitersi - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
rfj@nthink.com.br