acroread --why can't package be installed?

When I type
# dpkg --list acroread
The package lists with the letters "pn" at the start of the line.
Such packages will not install, and there is an error message
"no installation candidate" when I try to install it.

Why, oh why is this?
I don't have acroread currently installed, and there it is as a
package, so why can't I install it?

What does "pn" actually mean?

Someone in an earlier posting said that "no installation candidate"
has something to do with an earlier version installed. But, that's
not my case.

Some advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Barry Kauler
b.kauler@cowan.edu.au