Re: default ungziped /usr/doc/*/* ?

> > >Very nice, but I urge people to file bug reports against packages
> > >that have compressed html files without hacked URLs such that they
> > >still work.
> >
> > Not good.  If the html is hacked so that links work while it is compressed,
> > then when someone UNcompresses it, the links will break.  This would
> > certainly be a surprising effect of unzpping html files.
>
> Then don't do that!  :-)
>
> My point is that files should work as installed by dpkg.  If you
> uncompress them, then you're on your own wrt upgrading, package
> purging, and yes, even wrt the package working correctly.  There
> are lots of _surprising effects_ after unzipping packaged files.
>
> Sometimes html _is_ hacked so that links work when the file is
> compressed in order to save space on user systems.  This should
> only be done on large HTML documentation packages. AFAIK, not
> many packages do this, but I have done it myself.  Should you
> file it a bug report on it, the most I'd do is provide a
> decompressor script to change the URLs so it still worked, with a
> large disclaimer saying that using it would render the package
> not upgradable and not removable by dpkg.

teTeX is on area in which the html page does not work because of the
gz. format.
Where do I have to report that to?

Do I understand correctly, that all files in /usr/doc are supposed to
be gz? If yes, then rezipping them recursevly should solve the
problems with dpkg updateing etc.

Thorsten Manegold