Re: Moving a kernel

On Monday, June 14, 1999 at 00:20:59 +0200, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:

 > you'd better give a hi level version number to your kernel, to avoid
 > downgrading if you're kernel as a version number lower than the one

Or, use a revision string beginning with an alphabetic character, such as
"custom" as I use (which I suspect I got from the docs at some point,
even if it's not in there now.)  I believe the "standard" versions
are pretty much guaranteed to stay *below* the alphabetic characters.
(This way, the headaches of epochs can be avoided.)

The switch --revision=custom4.2.0 is an example, and what I used earlier
today.  The numbers relate to which box is the intended target for me,
since I do all compiling on one box only.  As long as each box's numbering
system only increases (at least until the kernel version increments)
then everything is fine.  You can bury a lot of information in there
if you're creative and plan ahead.  I can revert to an old hardware
configuration by installing the right revision number (and swapping
hardware of course.)  This makes hardware debugging a bit more painless.
The kernel-package package has made my life quite a bit easier.

--

PGP Public Key available on request:
Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID