Re: Moving a kernel

On Sunday, June 13, 1999 at 14:49:21 -0500, Robert Rati wrote:

 > I want to compile a kernel on one machine and move it to another, but am

Probably the easiest way to accomplish this in the future (and more
"Debian-style" as well) is to use the kernel-package package to create
a .deb on the first machine, then use dpkg --install to install it on
the other machine.

(This also happens to be how the "standard" kernel-image-2.x.x packages
are generated.)

Here is the description:
  kernel-package - Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.

  This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
  package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
  directory tree.  It can also build the kernel source package as a debian
  file, the kernel headers package. In general, this package is very useful
  if you need to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default
  kernel does not support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner,
  meaner kernel.

  If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
  custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you
  may need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other
  platforms).

 > Do I need to move more files than just the kernel?

If you compiled anything as a module, it will need to be installed on
the new machine as well.  However, kernel-package takes care of all of
that for you automatically.  I recommend looking into it.

# apt-get update;apt-get install kernel-package;lynx /usr/doc/kernel-package

BTW, I used it to create a "remote" kernel just today for that matter. :-)

--

PGP Public Key available on request:
Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID