Re: ipacset

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 01:08:56AM +0100, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote
> On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 07:30:53PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> > 	Subject: ipacset
> > 	Date: Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 07:16:10PM +0100

> > Quoting Alisdair McDiarmid(alisdair@letdown.demon.co.uk):
> > > Cron continues to mail me every six minutes with this message.
> > > Has anyone got any idea why, or how to stop it?
> > >
> > > From: root@letdown.demon.co.uk (Cron Daemon)
> > > Subject: Cron <root@letdown>  test -f /etc/ipac.conf && test -f
> > > /usr/sbin/fetchipac
> > > +&& /usr/sbin/fetchipac
> > > To: root@letdown.demon.co.uk
> > > /usr/sbin/fetchipac: Cant read "/var/run/ip-accounting-rules" - ipacset not
> > > run?
> > >
> > > Please help or I'll go mad.
> > >

> > If you tell me what you have tried to do to stop from going mad, I
> > might be able to help.
>
> Not much, so far. I'm still very new to Linux - I first installed
> Debian in February. I think (I'm not sure) that I mistakenly chose
> an IP something or other option when I first installed kernel
> 2.2.9, but I've since recompiled with the option blank.
>
> > Lets see.  It happens every 6 minutes.  It says (Cron Daemon).
> > Does that give you any clues?
>
> It tells me that the Cron Daemon is looking for something to do
> with ip-accounting-rules every six minutes, not finding it and
> emailing me to say so, and very little else.
>
> I don't know what ip-accounting rules are. Heck, I don't even
> know what ip-accounting is.
>
> > How about rgrep -r ip-accounting-rules /etc/*
>
> Gives no result (yes, I did run it as root).
>
> > Now lets see what you come up with.
>
> Nothing yet. What now?

I suspect that you have installed the 'ipac' package, that contains
utilities to configure, and collect statistics from, the kernel's ip
accounting facility.

If you don't want to do this (and chances are, you don't) run
# dpkg --purge ipac
or
# apt-get install ipac-
as root to remove it.

If something else like this comes up, you can find out what package
owns an installed file by typing (e.g.)
# dpkg -S /usr/sbin/fetchipac
and you can get a brief description of an installed package with (e.g.)
# dpkg --info ipac
You can also list all files owned by an installed package, by (e.g.)
# dpkg -L ipac

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au