Hamm --> Slink: 1. Compose-key lost 2. X11-display problem

Hallo,

Last night I "upgraded" my mixed hamm/slink/potato system to a
slink-based system.

Everything is working satisfactorily now except for the two problems
mentioned in the subject line.

1. I cannot get the compose key working again in console mode.  When this
happened in my previous upgrade I solved it by gzipping and copying the
file /drivers/char/defkeymap.map from my kernel-source (2.2.9)tree to
/etc/kbd/default.map.gz.  It did not help this time. I even copied the
backup-file I had from my previous /etc/kbd/default.map.gz but that did
not help.

I hope somebody can help me with this one.  I cannot afford to spend
another day or two reconfiguring my system.

2. I have gnome installed and use icewm with it. I use startx.
Xwindows comes up in 1024x768-mode and <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> does
not change anythin in the display.  How can I repair that?

The display section in my XF86Config contains the following lines:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "S3 86C764 (generic)"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "800x600" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1152 800
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     640 480
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "640x400"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     640 400
    EndSubsection

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou
      comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him,
      Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me
      in paradise."       Luke 23:42,43