initrd and booting SCSI

G'day Just a quick point me in the right direction question.

I am trying to get my system to boot from the SCSI disk and pass some
parameters to the kernel (mem=128M is one of them)
however I cannot get it to boot from the SCSI disk! (it hangs at LI)

I have checked and double checked the LILO stuff and disk partions.

I have been told I shoud use a 2 stage bootup with initrd to load SCSI
stuff to boot from the SCSI disk. (I am currently using a bootfloppy)

Is this correct and if so is there a HOWTO or some more advice on
this. I have read the initrd HOWTO but found it confusing more than
helpful to this situation.

---Gareth