RE: mail clients

Well,

there is one email client that will do most of what Outlook Express does.
XFmail. Not used alone though, but together with exim and fetchmail it works
great for me. I have two accounts dealt with fine using XFmail. Using filters,
and the option to set a custom "From" for every folder it is very easy to
run several accounts from this email client. Using XFmail's built in POP3 and
smtp is not a good idea since it won't send and receive in the background. But
letting exim do the mail deliveries it is a fast reliable solution.

The sad thing is that XFmail doesn't seem to be developed anymore. So if a coder
would take XFmail and bring it forward we WOULD have a decent X email client.

On 22-May-99 Jim B wrote:
> Hi all.  Is there a good POP3 and/or IMAP4 client (console or GUI, doesn't
> matter) that supports multiple accounts with easy switching between them...
> and that can filter based on the "account" concept rather than just on
> headers?
>
> If I'm not making sense, I'm looking for something for Linux that can do
> what MS Outlook Express can do.  Here's an example:
>
> One account is username "joe" and another account is username "tom."
>
> Someone sends to joe and the mail is filtered into his mailbox... meanwhile,
> tom's mail is filtered into his mailbox.  BUT, if someone BCCs joe, his
> username will not appear in the headers... therefore, header-based filtering
> will be useless.  The client needs to be able to filter the mail into the
> "joe" mailbox despite the fact that his address is not in the headers.  The
> idea is simple, it just needs to know "From what account did I download this
> message?" in order to be able to direct it appropriately, despite what may
> be in the headers of the message.
>
> Anyone know of such a client?  Pine's "roles" don't cut it as a single login
> cannot access multiple e-mail accounts.  Also, procmail doesn't come into
> the picture because the filtering rules must be client-based so that all
> these mail accounts can be accessed from a single terminal login session,
> rather than by logging out and then back into another session.
>
> Thanks!!!
>

> --
> /dev/null

Regards,