Re: Replacement for Netscape

On Wed, 26 May 1999 13:45:23 -0500 (CDT), Kent West wrote:

>On Wed, 26 May 1999, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 May 1999 20:51:55 -0500, Matthew W. Roberts wrote:
>>
>> >Netscape 4.51 for X is just too slow on my slightly dated pentium.
>>
>> Huh???
>>
>> Netscape 4.51 is everything else but slow. You probably simply have too
>> little memory. I suggest to install at least 128 megs.
>
>Ya know, we really oughtta quit advertising the idea that Linux runs well
>on 486's with low memory and drive resources....

Should there be irony in these your words?! :-)

Seriously, I agree with what you wrote above. Our in-house server only had
8 megs of RAM and just a 486-66 CPU. Nevertheless it played the role of an
ISDN router, fax receiver, file/mail/news server, and a couple of other
things I forgot. Does that convince you? :-)

Netscape *is* a memory hog, especially if it's statically linked against
Motif, but as someone else already pointed out, once it's loaded it runs
fine. You can't expect to run Linux, X, and Netscape in 32 megs, however.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\