Re: new wmaker package?

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 04:40:24PM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

Hi Marcello!

> > Now that I've updated, I found out WindowMaker in slink and potato are the
> > same version, so my problems still persist.

> nope, they are not.  Slink has 0.20.3; potato has 0.53.0.  The version in
> potato is compiled on a slink system, but that's another thing.

Somewhere I must have made a mistake. Now all is working as it should and
I have the latest wmaker package installed.

> > As this version (0.5x.x) has been available for some time, I keep wondering
> > why there is no more recent package available, in particular because I think
> > WindowMaker is quite popular.
>
> Because:
>
> a) none of the reported bugs have been fixed.  I've been looking at some of
>    them, but haven't had the time to fix them proper.
>
> b) there are some upstream patches, but none of them fix any important bugs,
>    IMO.
>
> c) I haven't been able to reproduce some of the reported bugs
>
> If you report a bug (where you can tell me what problems are you having with
> the current version) I'll be more than happy to look into it.

No problems so far with the current version.

The problems I have had were with 0.20.3-something, the slink package.

When started the first time, wmaker came up the correct way, with two icons
docked: a wmaker configuration tool and xterm.
When started again, these icons were not there any more and would not
reappear on subsequent starts.

On the virtual console where I started X11 (via startx) there was some
error message about wmaker having problems parsing one of its configuration
files (which were just the way they were saved when exiting on wmaker's
first run).

I managed to workaround this bug a couple of times, but I don't know what
exactly was the reason for it to not happen. Later, I was not able to work
around it any more, which made me get the latest package.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but I already removed the notes I took down,
as the current version simply works.

--

 thomas.                                .powered.by.debian/linux.
                                       irc.:.#chatgate, #frust.ger