Re: Bus error in Netscape

On Sun, 23 May 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> Edit the wrapper script to uncomment the allow root.
>
> You can find the wrapper script by following the symlinks. Start with
> ls -l /etc/alternatives/netscape

George,

/etc/alternatives did not have a link, so I added one using
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape.

Then I went on to comment out the part of the wrapper that
does not allow the root to run netscape:
#
# Don't allow running netscape as root
#
#if [ $UID -eq 0 -o $EUID -eq 0 ]; then
#    echo "$0: Cannot be run an root (for security reasons)"
#    exit 1
#fi

So after all of this, I ran netscape:
pussycat:~# netscape
Netscape: Ignoring unsupported netscape contenttype in user
mailcap file.
Warning:
    Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background

Warning:
    Cannot allocate colormap entry for default background

Bus error
pussycat:~#

It's the same problem as when I ran netscape as a user.

Thanks for your help.
Michelle

Michelle Maria Coelho
Purdue School of Science