Re: some questions...

On Fri, 21 May 1999, add|ct|on wrote:

>     one, has anyone else had problems with kernel 2.3.3 not reporting the
> correct kernel version? i noticed in the makefile (after it reported 2.3.2
> to me still) that it  said 2.3.2 there as well... i tried removing all old
> kernels, anything you can think of, and of course did make clean, make mr
> proper, etc, before compiling. no matter what i do, this kernel still
> reports that it is 2.3.2! if anyone knows why this might be, or has had a
> similar problem with it, or even knows how to fix it please make mention
> since i'm stumped.

Probably because it's not right in the Makefile, as you noted. Remember,
odd minor versions (2.1.x, 2.3.x, etc.) are development kernels and are
almost guaranteed to have problems. Personally, i'm going to stay with
2.2.x until 2.4 or 3.0, whichever comes first.

Feel free to use 2.3.x if you want, and if you do make sure to report all
bugs and problems to the kernel developers so they can be fixed! And
backup regularly in case something does break badly...