some questions...

    hi all...
    ok this is probably not the place to ask these things, but i will anyway
since i've seen the likes of them discussed here before...
    one, has anyone else had problems with kernel 2.3.3 not reporting the
correct kernel version? i noticed in the makefile (after it reported 2.3.2
to me still) that it  said 2.3.2 there as well... i tried removing all old
kernels, anything you can think of, and of course did make clean, make mr
proper, etc, before compiling. no matter what i do, this kernel still
reports that it is 2.3.2! if anyone knows why this might be, or has had a
similar problem with it, or even knows how to fix it please make mention
since i'm stumped.
    also, i have a very strange email problem. my isp has 4 dialin numbers,
and there was one in particular i favored for its speed. for months i could
never get fetchmail to fetch my mail (it would get as far as retrieving and
then just sit there on the first msg) until one day i happened to change
which number i used to connect, then fetchmail fetched flawlessly. i did
some experiments and discovered that this particular dialin number is the
ONLY one out of the 4 that i can fetch mail with. does anyone, anywhere,
have any idea why or how this might be?? i was thinking of asking my isp,
but maybe it has something to do with my settings or the speed of the
connection vs. my modem, or protocols or something i don't understand. all
numbers are 56k compliant, although my modem is only a 28.8 i never had
problems with them. however, the # that works with fetchmail is not X2
complaint (the only one that ISN'T) and i wonder if that could somehow
effect my ability to fetch mail or not? (note also that on windows i have no
problems getting mail with any of the #s, but the 3 that won't fetch on
linux at all are slow logging into the email server on windows, too, and
take a long time to fetch the first message. also the 3 other "bad" numbers
hang up on me a lot if i'm idle more than 3 minutes (noticed this in my ppp
logs) where the "good" one does not do this.
    any ideas, thoughts, etc would be greatly appreciated since i'm curious
as to this weirdness.
    thanks!

add|t|on, slaythe@innocent.com
http://e0i-cyberpimps.virtualave.net