RE: Trouble with Debian kernel build

On 17-May-99 George Bonser wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 1999, Pollywog wrote:
>

>> On 17-May-99 Bryan Scaringe wrote:
>> > I am trying to build a kernel the "Debian way" and am stuck. According
>> > to the FAQ, the first thing a need to do (from memory) is:
>> >       make-kpkg --install kernel-package_2.0.36_all.deb
>>
>> I am going back to the old way of doing it because I am still uncertain if I
>> have done it correctly.  Read the stuff in /usr/doc/kernel-package
>
> The way I do it is:
>
> 1. make menuconfig
> 2. make-kpkg --bzimage --revision L1 kernel-image
>
> (the revision is L for Local and then whatever number I want)
>
> If simply upgrading from an older kernel and you want to use your old
> config file, make oldconfig instead of make menuconfig usually works.
>
> Once it is done, you will have a kernel .deb package in the parent
> directory of your kernel tree.
>
> I just install it with dpkg -i

I followed the instructions in /usr/doc/kernel-package  but I had doubtts about
whether I had put the kernel source in the correct place, mostly because of the
errors about modules, which I kept seeing in my logs.

I did it the old way today, and if I don't see the same errors, I probably did
something wrong *after* installing the kernel image debs.

--
Andrew