Re: Trouble with Debian kernel build

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 10:55:31PM -0400, Bryan Scaringe wrote:
> I am trying to build a kernel the "Debian way" and am stuck. According
> to the FAQ, the first thing a need to do (from memory) is:
> 	make-kpkg --install kernel-package_2.0.36_all.deb
>
> However, there is no kernel-package_2.0.36.deb package.
>
> I am in the /usr/src directory, and there are files here called,
> (again, from memory) kernel_headers.2.0.36.tar.gz and
> kernel_sources.2.0.36.tar.gz .  I have the following packages installed:
> kernel_headers.2.0.36-3, kernel_source.2.0.36-3, kernel-package.

You should read /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz before proceeding.

Short version of what it says:
Untar/unzip the kernel source, run 'make menuconfig' (or make
config or make xconfig), then run 'make-kpkg clean' and
'make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image'.  This will compile the
source and create a debian kernel-image package which you can then
install.

> So what gives?  Do I have to untar/zip the files?  Why didn't the
> installation do this?  I'm afraid to do anything to screw-up the
> kernel packages, and I have never built a kernel under Debian.

Hmmm, I thought that the installation did that, but I haven't an
installed kernel-source package to check. If you have kernel-source, you
don't need the kernel-headers (with hamm you did).

Bob