RE: Trouble with Debian kernel build

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> On 17-May-99 Bryan Scaringe wrote:
> > I am trying to build a kernel the "Debian way" and am stuck. According
> > to the FAQ, the first thing a need to do (from memory) is:
> >       make-kpkg --install kernel-package_2.0.36_all.deb
>
> I am going back to the old way of doing it because I am still uncertain if I
> have done it correctly.  Read the stuff in /usr/doc/kernel-package

The way I do it is:

1. make menuconfig
2. make-kpkg --bzimage --revision L1 kernel-image

(the revision is L for Local and then whatever number I want)

If simply upgrading from an older kernel and you want to use your old
config file, make oldconfig instead of make menuconfig usually works.

Once it is done, you will have a kernel .deb package in the parent
directory of your kernel tree.

I just install it with dpkg -i