Re: xwin

Brian Servis dixit:
~>
~> To stop xdm from starting in Debian 2.1 you have several options:
~>
~> 1) remove the xdm package
~> 2) put an exit 0 at the top of the /etc/init.d/xdm script
~> 3) remove the symlinks in rc?.d to xdm with: update-rc.d -f remove xdm
~> 4) comment out the ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X" line in
~>    /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  This will still allow remote XDMCP
~>    connections since xdm is still running but not managing the local
~>    display.

Sorry to take back on an old issue.

Since Ctrl+Alt+Fn can switch from X to almost any V.C., and supposing
you can then take on any task under the command line, I'm seeing no real
point in removing xdm or preventing it from starting the x server on
startup.

But still, if I wanted to exit X... how do I do it?  The exit menus in WM
take me back to the X login prompt, they don't take me to the command
prompt as they used to do in 2.0.

TIA

Horacio