Re: xwin

On Sat, 8 May 1999, J Horacio M G wrote:

> Brian Servis dixit:
> ~>
> ~> To stop xdm from starting in Debian 2.1 you have several options:
> ~>
> ~> 1) remove the xdm package
> ~> 2) put an exit 0 at the top of the /etc/init.d/xdm script
> ~> 3) remove the symlinks in rc?.d to xdm with: update-rc.d -f remove xdm
> ~> 4) comment out the ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X" line in
> ~>    /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  This will still allow remote XDMCP
> ~>    connections since xdm is still running but not managing the local
> ~>    display.
>
> Sorry to take back on an old issue.
>
> Since Ctrl+Alt+Fn can switch from X to almost any V.C., and supposing
> you can then take on any task under the command line, I'm seeing no real
> point in removing xdm or preventing it from starting the x server on
> startup.
>
> But still, if I wanted to exit X... how do I do it?  The exit menus in WM
> take me back to the X login prompt, they don't take me to the command
> prompt as they used to do in 2.0.

You don't exit xdm other than by executing '/etc/init.d/xdm stop' as
root, or by killing the xdm process with the 'kill' command.

I think you started X with the 'startx' program before ('in 2.0'), which
starts one X session and then exits. xdm, however, always gives you a new
login prompt after you exit a sesion.

You might want to try hitting CTRL-R at the xdm login prompt. According to
my /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0 file, this should 'abort' the display. xdm
will then kill the X server, but it will not exit. If you type
'/etc/init.d/xdm reload' as root after you have done this, xdm will start
the X server again.

Remco
--
rd1936:  1:20am  up 6 days,  9:16,  5 users,  load average: 1.64, 1.57, 1.81