Basic networking info

After a long delay I am finally ready to put together a small training
network in my apartment. First I have some basic questions.
There are 3 machines one AMD 586 133 /64 mg (my primary machine) and 2
Intel 486 66 /8 mg.  All have ISA NE2000 cards

	1.  Can I live with 8 mg in the 486s?

	2.   How much of Debian/Gnu Linux  do I actually need to install on the
486s?  For example only one machine in the network should have the MTA,
or be a DNS server.  But if I only install the bare minimum how is that
differnt than just setting up a terminal.

	3.  Come to think of it how do you just set up mutiple terminals?  Do I
need special video cards?

	4. What is the best way to simulate user activity on a training network
when there is really only one person?

	5. I have a couple of other operatiing systems lying around.(Freebsd,
Solaris7, win311, I could probably borrow 95 or NT) Can I mix and match
them on the network. How do you do that?

Any recommeded reading material is appreciated.  Thanks for any help

Tom

PS number two is the most important question at this time