Re: Basic networking info

Hi

> After a long delay I am finally ready to put together a small training
> network in my apartment. First I have some basic questions.
> There are 3 machines one AMD 586 133 /64 mg (my primary machine) and 2
> Intel 486 66 /8 mg.  All have ISA NE2000 cards
>
> 	1.  Can I live with 8 mg in the 486s?

yep...

probably no X though...

have 386sx 20 / 8m with debian hamm and ISA NE2000 based network

> 	2.   How much of Debian/Gnu Linux  do I actually need to install on the
> 486s?

base system and maybe just few packages more. On 100meg disk i have about
50m filled and 16m swap

> For example only one machine in the network should have the MTA,
> or be a DNS server.  But if I only install the bare minimum how is that
> differnt than just setting up a terminal.
>
> 	3.  Come to think of it how do you just set up mutiple terminals?

why do you need terminals if network will do all what you need?

> Do I need special video cards?

no, AFAIK

> 	4. What is the best way to simulate user activity on a training network
> when there is really only one person?

write app which simulate user pressing keys and doing something?

just a guess...

> 	5. I have a couple of other operatiing systems lying around.(Freebsd,
> Solaris7, win311, I could probably borrow 95 or NT) Can I mix and match
> them on the network. How do you do that?
>
> Any recommeded reading material is appreciated.  Thanks for any help

Ethernet-HOWTO and NET3-HOWTO

> Tom

OK