Re: setting dns values

	Subject: Re: setting dns values
	Date: Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 08:33:21AM -0500

Quoting Jonathan Guthrie(jguthrie@brokersys.com):
> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> > Quoting Micha Feigin(michf@math.tau.ac.il):
> > > Where do i write the dns values for dialup connections, and how do i
> > > specify deferent dns values for deferent connections ?
> > > Thanx
>
> > Nameservers are put into /etc/resolv.conf like:
>
> > AFAIK only the first 2-3 entries are used.  Any nameservers (even if
> > not your ISO,s) are used.  It would seen to be faster if they matched
> > your ISP tho.  I know of no way ( or need) to switch based on which
> > ISP you connect to.  I see no noticable difference here using
> > nameservers from other ISP's.
>
> Danger, Will Robinson!
>
> Some ISP's (the one I run, leaps to mind) use RFC-1918 addresses for
> utility functions like the nameservers for dial-in users.  This is so
> we don't have to reconfigure all of the dial-in users when we renumber the
> rest of the system.  Unfortunately, that means that you can't use them
> from outside Brokersys.
>
> Also, you can't just use any old nameserver values because they sometimes
> change.  If I were to set up those Mindspring DNS server values, they
> would work until Mindspring decided to change their DNS numbers.  Since
> I'm not a Mindspring customer, I wouldn't know until it stopped working.
>
> All-in-all, it's best for all concerned if you use the DNS server
> addresses that are associated with the ISP you are connecting through.
> --
> Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
> Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/
> 12703 Veterans Memorial #106, Houston, TX  77014, USA

I guess I wasn't really clear.  I didn't mean to suggest that he 'should'
use any nameservers other then his own ISP's.  I only sent him mine
to show him how to set up resolv.conf.  I personally change my DNS
entries each time I have switched ISP's.

As fas as the "Danger, Will Robinson!" goes, it wouldn't take a rocket
scientist to figure out your ISP had changed nameservers, would it.
Then again, with some of the questions I see on this list, I should be
clearer in my replies, just in case.

Thanks for the hint.

Wayne
--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
                -- S. C. Johnson