Re: R: 10Gb drive - only 8Gb accessible

Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Thanks to those who have replied.
>
> Let me recapitulate:
>
> I have a 10.2Gb disk.
>
> I am using an updated BIOS, which recognises 10Gb of space and does not
> attempt to show a geometry.
>
> `sfdisk -s' shows the correct size: 10022040
>
> However, cfdisk actually assigns 8Gb and then considers the disk to be
> fully used.
>
> I believe I can get round this by specifying a higher cylinder count than
> 1024; however, I also need a Windows 95 partition and I don't know how
> to get Windows to recognise any changes I may make in Linux.  Windows
> also recognises only 8Gb, though the Large disk mini-HOWTO appears to
> suggest that it knows about >8Gb disks.

Is there software like MaxBlast or EZBios that comes with the disk?
Debian 2.0 is working well for me with a disk with EZBios on it.
Windows should work fine with it too.  Doesn't it seem like your current
BIOS is "lying" to cfdisk and Windows?  Weird, isn't it...  And I
imagine that, like someone else suggested, you could remove the drive
BIOS after Linux got happy with the geometry.  Windows I don't know
about.