Re: R: 10Gb drive - only 8Gb accessible

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 10:18:08AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> Is there software like MaxBlast or EZBios that comes with the disk?
> Debian 2.0 is working well for me with a disk with EZBios on it.

Be VERY carefull with these types of utils.  If you ever have trouble with
the drive it will be difficult or impossible to recover unless you know
exactly how the utility works and how it effects how Linux and Win. see the
drive.  With both Win. and LILO potentially mucking around in your MBR you
really don't want another utility digging around in there too.

It's much better to try to get a bios update for your motherboard or a
controller that has a bios built in.  For Linux you can specify the geometry
directly if you must.  For Windows, you may need an update from MS to get it to deal
with large drives (depending on what revision of Windows is being used) even
with a bios upgrade.

--
Ray
maillists@sonictech.net