Re: Scanner

Kevin Dalley wrote:

> There actually is some support for some parallel port scanners.  For
> the Mustek, from the sane-mustek man page.  As of sane-1.0.1, uploaded
> soon to a Debian archive near you, Mustek 1200 ED is not listed as a
> supported scanner.

Bummer.

>        The only non-SCSI scanner that has some support at this point
>        is the 600 II N scanner which comes with its own parallel port
>        adapter (i.e., it does not attach to the printer port).  More
>        info on how to use the 600 II N can be found below in section
>        PARALLEL PORT SCANNERS.
>
> and more
>
>        A parallel port scanner can be configured by  listing  the
>        port number of the adapter in the mustek.conf file.  Valid
>        port numbers are 0x26b, 0x2ab, 0x2eb, 0x22b, 0x32b, 0x36b,
>        0x3ab,  0x3eb.   Pick  one  that doesn't conflict with the
>        other hardware in your computer.
>
>        Note that for parallel port scanners root  privileges  are
>        required to access the I/O ports.  Thus, either make fron­
>        tends such as scanimage(1) and xscanimage(1)  setuid  root
>        (generally  not recommend for saftey reasons) or, alterna­
>        tively, access this backend  through  the  network  daemon
>        saned(1).
>
>        Also note that after a while of no activity, some scanners
>        themself (not the  SANE  backend)  turns  off  their  CCFL
>        lamps. This shutdown is not always perfect with the result
>        that the lamp sometimes continues to  glow  dimly  at  one
>        end.  This doesn't appear to be dangerous since as soon as
>        you use the scanner again, the lamp turns back on  to  the
>        normal  high  brightness. However, the first image scanned
>        after such a shutdown may have stripes and  appear  to  be
>        over-exposed.   When this happens, just take another scan,
>        and the image will be fine.

That's cool and I read that but I haven't been able to get it to work.
My parallel port is located at 0x378, which is /dev/lp1 or /dev/par1.

Here's what I attempted in my /etc/sane.d/mustek.conf:
/dev/par1
  option linedistance-fix
  option lineart-fix            # lineart may be faster with this option
off.

I have also tried /dev/lp1 and 0x378 in the place of /dev/par1.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Trev