Re: Scanner

Wayne Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com> writes:

> Probably because, AFAIK, parallel port scanners aren't yet supported?
> Ckeck/look for the sane site (www.sane.org ??).  There were, last I
> checked, some work arounds being done for 'some' parallel port
> scanners.  Mine was not among them.  :-(

There actually is some support for some parallel port scanners.  For
the Mustek, from the sane-mustek man page.  As of sane-1.0.1, uploaded
soon to a Debian archive near you, Mustek 1200 ED is not listed as a
supported scanner.

       The only non-SCSI scanner that has some support at this point
       is the 600 II N scanner which comes with its own parallel port
       adapter (i.e., it does not attach to the printer port).  More
       info on how to use the 600 II N can be found below in section
       PARALLEL PORT SCANNERS.

and more

       A parallel port scanner can be configured by  listing  the
       port number of the adapter in the mustek.conf file.  Valid
       port numbers are 0x26b, 0x2ab, 0x2eb, 0x22b, 0x32b, 0x36b,
       0x3ab,  0x3eb.   Pick  one  that doesn't conflict with the
       other hardware in your computer.

       Note that for parallel port scanners root  privileges  are
       required to access the I/O ports.  Thus, either make fron­
       tends such as scanimage(1) and xscanimage(1)  setuid  root
       (generally  not recommend for saftey reasons) or, alterna­
       tively, access this backend  through  the  network  daemon
       saned(1).

       Also note that after a while of no activity, some scanners
       themself (not the  SANE  backend)  turns  off  their  CCFL
       lamps. This shutdown is not always perfect with the result
       that the lamp sometimes continues to  glow  dimly  at  one
       end.  This doesn't appear to be dangerous since as soon as
       you use the scanner again, the lamp turns back on  to  the
       normal  high  brightness. However, the first image scanned
       after such a shutdown may have stripes and  appear  to  be
       over-exposed.   When this happens, just take another scan,
       and the image will be fine.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net