Re: HELP: using (PCMCIA)-modem....

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, John Pearson wrote:
> Probably mainly, you're running getty on /dev/ttyS3.  Getty provides
> the login prompt that a user dialling in (or connecting directly) to
> /dev/ttyS3 would see; once it's running it owns the port, and you may
> well not be able to open it with kermit.
i am nore comfortable with kermit... out of my old days :D

ok i tryed it again:

 erm7:~# ps uax|grep ttyS3
 root       267  0.0  1.1   844  344 tty1     S    15:45   0:00 grep ttyS3
 erm7:~# kermit
 C-Kermit 7.0.195 Beta.04, 30 Jan 1999, for Linux
  Copyright (C) 1985, 1999,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Default file-transfer mode is AUTOMATIC
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/root/) C-Kermit>set line /dev/ttyS3
    /dev/ttyS3 is not a terminal device
    Sorry, can't open connection: /dev/ttyS3
    (/root/) C-Kermit>q
    erm7:~# cat /var/run/stab
    Socket 0: Xircom CEM28 Ethernet/Modem
    0       network xirc2ps_cs      0       eth0
    0       serial  serial_cs       0       ttyS3   4       67
    Socket 1: empty

any suggestion this time?

> getty; it's much more full-featured than getty, and much better at modems.
> And, it is very much better at sharing a serial port with other programs.
that was my planned next step... but unless i get no connection to the modem...

ciao
bboett
acount at earthling net
http://erm6.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett
Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address
To contact me replace acount by bboett in above addresses