Re: 10Gb drive - only 8Gb accessible

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> I've just got a 10.2Gb IDE drive, but I cannot find an fdisk that allows
> more than 8Gb
>
> root@linda# sfdisk -s /dev/hdb
> 10022040
>
> root@linda# sfdisk -l /dev/hdb
>
> Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1024 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0
>
> 1024 * 8225280 = 8.2Gb approx
>
> What can I do to get the full capacity of the disk recognised?

     I recently put a Maxtor "10 gb" (10*10^9 bytes)drive in another
machine.  In order to get the BIOS and/or DOS to accept it (it's a
dual boot machine), I had to give the BIOS phony geometry, which fdisk
accepted.  Then I used fdisk, in the "x" (expert) mode to give fdisk
the correct geometry.  Then I partitioned the drive, and all 9.5 gb
were recognized.

Bob
--
   _