Re: Network card is giving trouble

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 05:14:19PM +0000, Jose L Gomez Dans wrote:
> Hi!
> 	A colleague is setting up a Linux box to interface some hardware
> with a web interface. Everything's running smoothly: he logs some data
> through a serial connection, and then formats it in html. Fine. The only
> problem he's found is actually setting up his Linux box to connect to the
> network. We have the ip numbers, broadcast addresses, dns servers...
> Everything is fine, but if we try to ping some host apart from loopback,
> nothing happens, and eventually, the number of collisions reported by
> ifconfig grows rapidly. it looks as an IRQ conflict is lurking around. This
> computer has two serial ports, both of them work fine, and are on use. There
> doesn't seem to be any problem in the /proc infos we get. Moreover, we're
> pretty sure the network card has got the right IRQ and base numbers.
ISA or PCI card?

If it's an ISA non PnP mode card, then on many mainboards you need to ensure
the card actually sees the IRQ by marking it as Legacy/non PnP

What does cat /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports say?

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source