Network card is giving trouble

Hi!
	A colleague is setting up a Linux box to interface some hardware
with a web interface. Everything's running smoothly: he logs some data
through a serial connection, and then formats it in html. Fine. The only
problem he's found is actually setting up his Linux box to connect to the
network. We have the ip numbers, broadcast addresses, dns servers...
Everything is fine, but if we try to ping some host apart from loopback,
nothing happens, and eventually, the number of collisions reported by
ifconfig grows rapidly. it looks as an IRQ conflict is lurking around. This
computer has two serial ports, both of them work fine, and are on use. There
doesn't seem to be any problem in the /proc infos we get. Moreover, we're
pretty sure the network card has got the right IRQ and base numbers.

	Does anyone know of a test we could try to sort this problem out?
		Cheers,
		Jose
--
Jose L Gomez Dans			PhD student