Re: deb vs. rpm

It is done on a per package basis.  'apt-get install exim' will install
all libraries that it depends on and uninstall all mta's that it conflicts
with.

The .deb format is not just a package format it is a database of
information about packages, namely version, dependencies, conflicts and
recommends.

Thus when you upgrade your system, dpkg/apt downloads all software
selected and dependencies, then sets them up, if there is a conflict it
uninstalls what is conflicting, then after everthing is installed and
configure correctly, it deletes the downloaded packages so that your
system is not loaded down with .deb files.

There is nothing like it in existence, it is the superior package format.
Forget about popularity for a moment and think about raw technical
superiority.  That is the debian format.  You will love it when you try
it.

NatePuri
Certified Law Student
Debian GNU/Linux Monk