W95 defrag

Greetings, fellow  Debian fans,

This is only a proto-debian question, I'm afraid, but I have tried to
RTFM, honest. I'm trying to defrag the disc on a W95 laptop prior to using
FIPS to re-partition it so I can put Debian on it as well[1]. W95 defrag
will move a lot of stuff (which it colours turquoise) to the beginning of
the disc, but

(a) it wants to put some things at the end and
(b) there are some things which it colours red/white and won't move at
    all.

I fixed (a) by turning off W95's virtual memory but I don't know how to
fix (b). Any suggestions ? The FIPS docs suggest finding what files the
immovable blocks are and deleting them. It recommends a program called
showfat which I tried - it works on a floppy but not on my HD, probably
because it is an old program and (I guess) a FAT32 filesystem[2]. Any
clues how to find what the immobile files are? Any other ideas for dealing
with them?

A related question: the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO says that if you have FAT32
you should not try using LILO. Is this info up-to-date? What about the
business about the Linux boot partition having to start below sector 1024
(assuming LILO can be used ).

Many TIA,

Hugh

P.S. I have installed Debian twice before, but the first time was on a
W3.1 machine with a 512MB HDD and where defrag did what it should have and
the second time was on a machine with two hard discs so the problem didn't
arise.

[1] Yes I know. I should nuke W95 entirely, but I want to be sure that (a)
    I never use it and (b) all the hardware works OK in Linux.

[2] Not sure how to find this out.

Hugh C. Pumphrey, Dept. of -    | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Meteorology, Univ. of Edinburgh | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside U.K
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland     | Email hcp@met.ed.ac.uk