Re: W95 defrag

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 06:03:27PM +0100, H C Pumphrey wrote:

> A related question: the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO says that if you have FAT32
> you should not try using LILO. Is this info up-to-date?

I believe it's ok to use LILO but don't let it replace the MBR.  Just
install LILO on the same partition that you use for Linux and use fdisk to
set that partition as active (and make the C: partition inactive).  I think
(but could be wrong) that LILO can't be on a logical drive so if you are not
putting Linux on a primary partition you may need to make a small primary
just for LILO.  In any case, plan on doing your first couple of boots from
floppy and deal with LILO once you have your system (and TFM) installed.

> What about the
> business about the Linux boot partition having to start below sector 1024
> (assuming LILO can be used ).

This only matters if your system doesn't use LBA mode which is pretty rare
for systems that have drives big enough to need fat32.

--
maillists@sonictech.net