Re: I'm not giving up: backpack CD-ROM drive.

Ola!

] 2) Use a null modem cable to connect to a desktop and piggy back ride on
] that systems CD-ROM.
] Q: I don't know if the Linux base system supports null modem connections.

It does since a long time ago, as I installed myself my first debian
system on an old notebook with no cdrom or any pcmcia cards (like net and
modem). My only choice was to use a null modem cable to set up a PPP
connection between my desktop (which used redhat at the time) and NFS
export the /cdrom directory. The install took over 12 hours, but it
worked. And it has survived upgrades from debian 1.2 to 1.3, to 2.0 and
2.1.

Try it out and mail me if necessary. I'm not on the list anymore (too much
traffic).

Fabio
( Fábio Olivé Leite                            olive@inf.ufrgs.br )
(      NEW -*- http://descartes.ucpel.tche.br/~olive -*- NEW      )
( Linux - Distributed Systems - Fault Tolerance - Security - /etc )
(        BC 50 7F 7A B9 2E 0A 26   91 8A D1 C0 B1 E4 DA A4        )