I'm not giving up: backpack CD-ROM drive.

Hi group. I'm not giving up and still want to find a way to install a full
Linux system on a 486-33 notebook with a backpack CD-ROM drive.

Done: (1) insmod paride, (2) insmod epia, (3) insmod pcd

After "insmod pcd" it gave the message:
   "pcd: pcd version 1.05s, major 46, nice 0
    "pcd0: epia 1.02, Shuttle EPIA at 0x738, mode 1 (5/3), delay 1"
    "pcd: No CDrom drive found"
    "/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc/pcd.o: init_module: Device or resource busy"

I have been reading in the parport mailing list and "Device or resource
busy" seems to be a common problem with backpack CD-ROM drives. So common
it seems that I'm a bit amazed that nobody has thought of a solution.

>From correspondence with others some points came out.....
1) 2.0.x kernels can't handle two modules controlling the same device.
2.2.x kernels can.
2) "Device or resource busy" means that already another module is
controlling the parallel port.

Q1: how can you check if which module is controlling what? (the startup
messages don't give me a clue).
Q2: how can you disable modules that you don't need?

As I still want to install a full system from CD-ROM on this 486-33
notebook I thought of some alternatives:
1) Use a boot floppy with a 2.2.x kernel to get the CD-ROM working and
install the system then.
Q: Does anybody know where to find a disk image of a boot disk with a 2.2.x
kernel?
2) Use a null modem cable to connect to a desktop and piggy back ride on
that systems CD-ROM.
Q: I don't know if the Linux base system supports null modem connections.
Anybody any idea?

Sorry for my long ramblings. I am new to Linux, but I hope by taking
logical steps and elimination to understand the workings of Linux as soon
as possible. Any input is highly appreciated.

Hans