Re: I'm not giving up: backpack CD-ROM drive.

|> > 2) Use a null modem cable to connect to a desktop and piggy back
|> > ride on that systems CD-ROM.
|> >
|> > Q: I don't know if the Linux base system supports null modem
|> > connections. Anybody any idea?
|>
|> Yes, it does. I have just installed debian on a laptop which only
|> has a floppy drive. I put the base system on floppies, and
|> installed the rest with a null-modem cable and ppp. To set it up,
|> put this in /etc/ppp/peers/provider:
|>
|> /dev/ttyS0 115200
|> 192.168.2.2:192.168.2.1
|> noauth
|>
|> and the same on the other system, just swap the ip addresses
|> arround.  of course you will need another debian system to connect
|> to for this method.

Or set up a PLIP connection between the two machines, using the null
modem cable. This lets you mount the CD file-system on one machine and
then use NFS to also mount it on the machine that only has the base
system. Very fast. You can then use the `Ready Mounted File-System'
access method in dselect. This was how I installed 2.0 on a laptop
that had neither net access nor a CD-ROM drive. There's an excellent
short article about setting up PLIP connections in Linux Journal Issue
50 (June 1998).

Jim