Re: floppy too slow during bootup

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, James Dietrich wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 10:37:18AM -0500, Fethi A. Okyar wrote:
> >
> > I am wondering why in the world does my floppy get
> > sooo slow while its reading the kernle image during
> > a boot process??
> >
> > It takes approximately 5-6 minutes until it finishes
> > just reading the kernel image and then bang!! 2 seconds
> > to decompress it.
>
> I have had the same problem myself--here are a few more details
> that may be helpful in figuring this out.
>
> I installed Debian 2.1 and the Custom Boot Floppy it made during
> the initial install takes _forever_ to boot.  However, I later
> made my own boot disk using the Bootdisk HOWTO and it booted up
> at a normal speed.  It appears to me, then, that it isn't the
> fault of the drive itself or the floppy disk, but rather something
> about the way the boot disk is created during the install process.
> Interestingly enough, the rescue disk also boots at a normal speed
> on the same computer.  BTW, this was not a problem for me when I
> installed an earlier version of Debian several years ago.
>
> Does anyone with more knowledge about boot disks have any
> idea why there is such a large discrepancy between the booting
> time off the rescue floppy and the custom boot floppy created
> during install?
>
> Thanks.
> James

Moments ago I just recompiled my kernel and produced a custom boot disk-
oh joy, now my floppy boots at normal speed!

Earlier George Bonser indicated that a boot floppy made with the tecra-safe.bin
images exhibited "this feature" of a slow boot, however I had not used that
image so I did not think this was the problem.

The Debian 2.0 and 2.1 install procedure produces a slow floppy boot which was
not the case pre 2.0.