Re: floppy too slow during bootup

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 10:37:18AM -0500, Fethi A. Okyar wrote:

> I am wondering why in the world does my floppy get
> sooo slow while its reading the kernle image during
> a boot process??
>
> It takes approximately 5-6 minutes until it finishes
> just reading the kernel image and then bang!! 2 seconds
> to decompress it.

I have had the same problem myself--here are a few more details
that may be helpful in figuring this out.

I installed Debian 2.1 and the Custom Boot Floppy it made during
the initial install takes _forever_ to boot.  However, I later
made my own boot disk using the Bootdisk HOWTO and it booted up
at a normal speed.  It appears to me, then, that it isn't the
fault of the drive itself or the floppy disk, but rather something
about the way the boot disk is created during the install process.
Interestingly enough, the rescue disk also boots at a normal speed
on the same computer.  BTW, this was not a problem for me when I
installed an earlier version of Debian several years ago.

Does anyone with more knowledge about boot disks have any
idea why there is such a large discrepancy between the booting
time off the rescue floppy and the custom boot floppy created
during install?

Thanks.
James