Re: 3 button mouse

Ola!

] I just bought a new 3 button mouse for the convenience of better cut and
] paste,
] and find that I can't seem to make it work.  When I first got it, I just

Most likely your mouse is (like mine) a dual mode mouse. Check if it
doesn't have "PC" and "MS" written somewhere around the ball hole. For
sometime this kind of mouse came with a nice switch below it that would
select the mode, but then god-knows-why they changed it to an "insanely
great" approach: the mouse defaults to micro$oft mode, which uses only two
buttons (don't ask); if you want it to work in MouseSystems mode, which
has three buttons, you have to turn on your PC holding the left mouse
button down. This ain't no joke, although it looks like a joke from those
%#@@!#$ing mouse manufacturers. You don't _really_ have to turn your
computer off and on again just 'cause of this fscking mouse, it suffices
to unplug your mouse and plug it back again while holding down the left
mouse button. Of course I allways forget this "intuitive" trick when I
have to shutdown my box for maintenance/upgrade/etc.

Just for the record, I've tried all kinds of tricks, like setting those
weird X options to disable DTR or RTS on the serial port, but none worked.
The only thing that makes this sick mouse use the middle button is the
unplug/plug windows approach.

Hope this helped!
Fabio
( Fábio Olivé Leite                            olive@inf.ufrgs.br )
(      NEW -*- http://descartes.ucpel.tche.br/~olive -*- NEW      )
( Linux - Distributed Systems - Fault Tolerance - Security - /etc )
(        BC 50 7F 7A B9 2E 0A 26   91 8A D1 C0 B1 E4 DA A4        )