3 button mouse

I just bought a new 3 button mouse for the convenience of better cut and
paste,
and find that I can't seem to make it work.  When I first got it, I just
pulled
the old one and put in the new, and it worked, but only in 2 button
mode. So I
exited X and ran gpmconfig, which would always hang after asking for a
single
left click.  When I re-ran X, niether mouse would work.  I have the old
mouse
working after re-running gpmconfig with it and re-starting X, but it
won't
even simulate a third button by clicking both buttons together,
anymore.  Anyone
have a clue for me? TIA
Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
The IQ of the group is that of the member
whose IQ is lowest  divided by the number
of members.