Hashed mailspool on procmail and qpopper

Does anybody have good patches for procmail and qpopper (from the hamm
vintage) that implements a hashed mail spool (aka
/var/spool/mail/u/s/user), preferably such that they use the hashed
version if it exists, and the non-hashed if it doesn't?  I'm not a good
enough C programmer to even attempt this on my own.

FWIW, I have managed to get procmail to use _only_ the hashed mailspool,
but haven't been able to get qpopper to compile (missing a mailock.h file
as referenced in pop_dropcopy.c).

Any help is appreciated,

Pete

--