Samba problem: can't create a valid tmp service

When I run "smbclient '\\[hostname]\tmp' (following the DIAGNOSIS doc) and
enter my password, I get "Invalid network name in tree connect".  The smb
log reports "couldn't find service tmp", yet the tmp service setup in
smb.conf is an exact match of the sample config file, and running testparm
on the config file reports no errors for the service setup.  FWIW, this is
how the service is configured:

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = yes
   public = yes

Can anyone give me a clue about what I'm missing?

Thanks.

--

Curt Daugaard
cld@mcs.NOSPAM.net