Re: Debian vs. RedHat

In article <7f8i7t$c08@tekka.wwa.com> you wrote:
: In article <MPG.11734320c76ffa9f989761@news.bctel.net>,
: Luca Filipozzi <lucanntp@ise.bc.ca.spamsucks> wrote:

: :It's unfortunate that the Debian install is difficult in comparison to
: :RedHat.

: In some ways, I actually think it's hard compared to Slackware.  And
: that's BAD......

Honestly how often do you install?   Hopefully not very often.

: :I prefer Debian because I think that it is more solidly built
: :distribution than RedHat.

: Well, more *logically* built anyway.  In fact, I think it's about the most
: logically built Linux distribution I've seen.  The "solid" part is
: something I'm still trying and failing to convince myself of (see
: below).

Part of the problem with RH updating is very difficult.

: :The debian package selection tool, dselect, is
: :*very* good and powerful.

: Here's the fun part.  What it *tries* to do is very good and powerful.
: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be able to do it without generating
: profuse errors faster than the eye can read for screens and screens.  I
: was told back in the Hamm days that this was normal, that dselect checks
: dependencies but not incorrect sequences of installation (i.e., accessory
: components could try to throw themselves at the drive before the program
: they go with existed).  I could hardly believe it.  The official word from
: the Debian site was that you were supposed to run dselect over and over
: until the "pieces fell into place", that enough runs and it'd all get
: there, maybe messy, but it's all there, right?  Oh brother.

Dselect is a major problem, however it's actually not that bad.  I
have no problems with dselect.

: 	So then they started making promises about apt.  "When Slink comes
: out it'll all work right."  Well, Slink is out, and I've just installed
: it, and I don't think I could even count the errors refering to
: non-existent (not yet installed) components I've just seen racing past my
: screen as the components try to throw themselves into apps that aren't
: there.  Same as Hamm.  Where does apt even enter into this?  The install
: put me in dselect -- does dselect control apt in the background?  I
: wonder, because I never saw it.

Apt unfortunately isn't fully complete in Slink.  The Potato version
is more full feature.   Apt is the "Future Debian Package Manager."
IMHO, the Slink version seems to be a front-end to dpkg.  It since if
you know what package you want, but other then that not much.  Apt
however does do a better job at calculating depencies.  Which means,
the order of installation.  It will reduce the number of problems, but
won't catch all of them.  Apt will however attempt to install packages
which didn't install the first time.  Apt is also nice, because it
allows me to get packages off of multiple sites.

In dselect, select Access and choose Apt.  It will then use apt
instead of dpkg.  Apt will install, configure, and remove all in one
run in Install so you won't need to use config and remove.

And always remember that packages may be broken :( especially in Unstable.

: Are we supposed to believe that verbose diagnostics like this
: are indicative of an installation that's "OK"???
Sure why not.  J/K?  There is far too many messages flying by the
screen and it's impossible to read it all.

--
       Dan Nguyen          | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
    nguyend7@msu.edu       | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.