trouble configuring xcdroast

Hi,

I've searched the debian mailing list archives and checked the bug
reports for a solution to this strange problem with xcdroast-0.96e-3 to no
avail; perhaps someone on this list has encountered this as well.

I've installed xcdroast-0.96e-3.deb on my Slink box and when initially
starting the program and entering 'Setup', the buttons (SCSI/IDE Info |
Setup | Copy Data-Cd | Copy Audio-CD, etc.) do not switch to the Save |
Cancel | Done buttons; consequently, I cannot save my configuration.

In addition, the Defaults tab in the Setup menu is blank!  Very strange...

This happens whether I run from the local X server or a remote
X display.

I've downloaded the xcdroast-0.96e source package - with the
installation of Tcl8.0-dev, Tk-8.0-dev and Tix4.1-dev packages and
tweaking of the Configure script and Makefile, the resulting
xcdroast-0.96e still exhibits this bizarre behavior.  Ditto with the 0.96d
sources as well.

Running with -debug does not output any error messages with the
precompiled binary or my own builds.

The system is a P5-166, NCR53C810 SCSI controller, Philips 2600 CD writer,
NEC 16x CD-ROM.  Kernel is 2.0.36 compiled with the NCR53C8XX driver -
otherwise, it's a vanilla Slink install.

Previously, I've built and used xcdroast-0.96d successfully with
RH4.2/2.0.34 on the same hardware.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?  Is there something
ridiculously simple that I'm overlooking?

Many thanks in advance,

RR
Robert M. Rhyu
bob@maydesign.net