Re: Hardware advice

> Hello,
>
> I'm just getting started using Linux. Actually, I'm expecting my Slink CD's to arrive any day now. I'm upgrading an old PC I have to install Debian on. I'm on a real tight budget, but I don't want to spend my money on hardware that won't be appropriate.
>
> I've found a 1.2 G hard drive for a reasonable price. I know that this is more than adequate size for the OS, but is it a reasonable size   for a typical system. Basically, do you people who use this OS regularly recommend a bigger drive?
>
> The system I intend to install this on is a 60Mhz Pentium with 16 M ram. I realize that this would be the minimum for a reasonable Win 95 setup, but is it reasonable for a Linux setup?

My work machine is a p75 w/ 48mb on a 1gb drive.  If you use X, mem is the key.
Upgrade to 32 or 64 when you can.  Hard drives are nice because you can always
add another one later.

I have run linux on everything from a 486 66 to a K6-2 300.  The key is memory.
X, compilers, toys take memory.  CPU is not an issue if you are realistic.  Try
hosting a 100 hits a second web site on a 486 is prolly bad, but simple typing
and web surfing is not bad (netscape will chew mem).